Skip to main content

The Man With One Red Shoe (1985)


"That's the trouble with surveillance! You don't get to see nothin'!"

I'm going to start off with a confession: I goofed. 

The Man With One Red Shoe was released a month before Volunteers, which was our previous entry, so we're just a smidge out of order. 

That said, I had a lot of fun with this one. Hanx plays Richard, a violinist singled out at random by Ross, deputy director of the CIA, to confound a rival operative named Cooper. Ross leads Cooper to believe that Richard is a secret agent, which sees Richard unwittingly becoming targeted for surveillance and tangled in a web of espionage. 

The film got off to a bit of a slow start, and I was finding the utter ineptitude of Cooper's team to be a bit ridiculous, but their bungling ransacking of Richard's apartment in the interest of uncovering evidence set up some moments that were amusing, if a little juvenile, later on. The whole thing plays like a drawn-out Three Stooges short, with Richard turning on his sink only to see water come shooting out of the shower head as a result of some incorrectly repaired plumbing by Cooper's lackeys and exhaling a stream of bubbles after brushing his teeth with what turns out to be shampoo that the spy team had inadvertently replaced in his toothpaste tube. It's definitely over the top at times, but it's a good bit of fun if you don't think about it too hard.

The casting is really what makes this movie for me. The obvious Hanx aside, you've got Dabney Coleman as Cooper, who manages to be funny even when he's the straight man. Veteran actor Ed Hermann is the operative who reluctantly singles Richard out to be his fake spy, then later has an attack of conscience about it. Hermann has a presence onscreen that I've always enjoyed, so I was excited to see his name pop up in the opening credits. And of course there's the late, great Carrie Fisher as Paula, the wife of Richard's friend Morris (Jim Belushi, who I don't actually hate in this role), the merry prankster who is responsible for the titular red shoe. Richard is, incidentally, having a clandestine affair with Paula. That's what you get when you mess with a man's shoes, Morris. The only performance I really didn't enjoy was that of Lori Singer, who plays Maddy, the agent sent to pursue Richard who ends up falling for him. I've actually never seen her best-known film, Footloose (yeah, I know), but she's just utterly cardboard in this. I mean, how hard could it possibly be to pretend to love Tom Hanks? It's too bad nobody had discovered the lightning-in-a-bottle chemistry he had with Meg Ryan at this point, because I think she'd have been far better suited for it. Apparently, she was too busy canoodling Scott Baio on Charles in Charge at this point (yes, really). Ah well. 

Ultimately, this one falls right down the middle for me with regard to rankings in the Hanx catalog thus far. The story's a right mess, but the casting was almost spot-on. I'd still like to know where that other red shoe went, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here Comes the Hanks.

We were sitting at a traffic light when it happened. My husband and I were in San Diego for the weekend, enjoying a belated anniversary dinner while my in-laws had generously volunteered to babysit our son. We were in the car, headed for dinner at a restaurant that we'd been meaning to try for months, and I was futzing around on my phone (as I do), when he spoke up out of the blue. "I think we should do a year of Hanks." "What?" "Neither of us has seen all of Tom Hanks' movies, and I know you're a huge fan, so I think we should watch everything he's been in over a year or so." It took me a minute to process this suggestion that had come from seemingly nowhere. It's an established fact among those who know me well that I love Tom Hanks. It's not a movie star crush (I'm looking at you, Chris Pine) or a simple appreciation for the craft (Morgan Freeman, you inspire me). In a previous life, I was convinced, beyond the s

The Letter

In my previous post, I mentioned the letter I'd written to Tom Hanks in my senior year history class requesting that he tell me about someone he wished he'd studied more about in high school. We each chose three, figuring that it'd up our odds of getting a response. The Hanx was the one person I wanted the most to hear from, and he was the one person who came through. I've moved a big handful of times since high school, and I suppose back then my admiration wasn't quite to the level that it is now, and much to my regret, I'd lost my copy of the letter.  You can say what you want about social media (hell, I've been known to gripe about it on occasion), but it has afforded me the opportunity to keep in touch with folks I otherwise may never have spoken to again, given that I'm now living on the opposite coast of the country from where I grew up. One of those people is Tom Jordan, my high school history teacher.  I had no shortage of great teachers

On July 9, It Begins Again.

I began this project just over three years ago. My intent was, as most of you know, to complete a viewing of all Tom Hanks' films in a year. I made a respectable showing at first, but then things happened. I had a miscarriage. I got pregnant with my second child. My first was potty training. I got a new job. I moved. I was laid off. My son turned two, and for those of you who have a two-year-old, I don't think that needs any further explanation. The world was blindsided with a pandemic, which both Hanx and his wife, Rita Wilson, were affected by. Protests arose over civil rights issues. In short, my world, and the greater world, was in chaos. I lost sight of my goal, and much like a beloved volleyball in Cast Away, drifted off beyond my reach. Times are tough for everyone these days. There's no arguing that. And for quite some time now, I've been thinking about resurrecting this project. I've said for about half a decade that I wanted to learn Latin. Finally, t